More About Indian Head Massage
Massage is something that has been around for some 5000 years and the west has been practicing it for the past 3000 years. Amongst the first of medical arts, head massage is something that was first administered by physicians. In India, massage is something that has been practiced for over 3000 years.
It is believed that massage is something that came to India from China. It was and it is all about identifying the right points of the body where rubbing, pressure and manipulations are considered very effective.
Many ancient Persians, Hindus and Egyptians used massage for treating different types of ailments. The Ayurveda is a sacred book of Hindus which was written sometime in 1800 BC and it devoted a lot of space to massage as an important hygienic principle.
When we talk about the family traditions of massage in India, it is interesting to note that it has been around from the time Hinduism. It still is very popular amongst 80% of Indians and it certainly has stood the test of time. It is a very important ritual and is almost akin to taking daily food and has a big role to play in the central life of many Indian families.
There is little doubt that Indian Head Massage is a very unique method of treatment. It is popular because it is simple, safe and yet quite effective. Apart from promoting hair growth it also helps in providing relief from pains and aches. It also helps various symptoms associated with stress.
Head Massage Advantages
A few of the many advantages associated with head massage are as follows:
- It does not require a person to undress.
- Oils though used widely are not compulsory.
- If you have a client is not fully able bodied, this type of massage can easily be performed with the customer on a wheelchair. It can be done almost anywhere.
- It is very cost effective and a full treatment should not take more than 30 minutes.
- It is suitable for people of almost each and every age. Even children who are hyperactive could be given this massage to reduce their stress and hyperactive levels. Young children suffering from exam stress also find a lot of benefit when they are given head massage. Modern day executives and others who suffer from lot of job and work related stress and tension also find a lot of benefit when they are offered this head massage. It certainly helps to soothe and calm nerves and promotes good sleeping.
- Another good thing about Indian head massage is that it can be done almost anywhere, whether it is your home, workplace, hospitals or even in your office.
How does it work?
There is little doubt that the head, shoulder and neck are centers where energy is released. When stress starts accumulating it is first felt in these parts of the body. It often manifests itself as stiff neck and stiff shoulders and could also lead to strain in the eyes. It could also lead to hair loss.
The whole concept of Indian head massage is about working with the help of a small and gentle rhythm which helps in removing blockages and prevents build up of tension
Apart from physical benefits it also helps emotionally and is known to calm the spirit and hence it is often referred to as a total package that takes care of stress whether it is physical, mental or emotional. Since these three parts of the body do store a lot of anxiety it is quite natural for tension and emotion to build up in these areas.
Regular massage of these areas will certainly help in better understanding and communication. It would make a better place to live in. further the hair and head are very sensitive and are full of nerve endings. This makes them very receptive to touch and hence a good head and hair massage is very relaxing and soothing.
Indian Head Massage Psychological Benefits
There are a number of psychological benefits too that could be derived from head massage the Indian way.
The normal balance of the body can become upset due to various psychological and physical stresses. Quite a number of common illnesses are related to stress combined with other factors such as lack of sleep, improper diet and other such things. This could lead to exhaustion which can contribute to high levels of stress.
- Apart from tackling stress effectively, Indian head massage also helps us to give good education to our body and teaching us when and how to relax and rest.
- Massage also helps in rebalancing the body and gives a boost to our immune system. This helps the body to fight infection and illness better.
- It also helps in better supply of oxygen to the brain, increased concentration and overall improvement in alertness.
A soothing Indian head massage has a lot of benefits including rest to the brain with increased supply of oxygen, reduction of tension leading to lesser emotional disturbance. Many clients who suffer from a situation of hopelessness and desperation often find a lot of benefits when they go in for such a massage. It also helps improve the clients to feel more positive and more confident about themselves and about life in general.
Talking about physical benefits there are quite a few such as
- Good blood circulation, improved relaxation, lymphatic flow that helps in better drainage of toxins and helps the immune system. Muscular tension is also reduced because of breaking down of nodules and adhesions.
- Skin also feels and looks better and they become softer and supple.
- Stiffness of the back and shoulder also gets better and nerve ends become stimulated.
There is little doubt that since touch is very essential for our nervous system, Indian Head Massage therefore has a very important role to play and helps you to communicate in a natural and intuitive way. It is therefore very important to pay the right kind of attention to this type of head massage and derive benefits from the same.